Sunday, February 5, 2017

Good teachers

Reflect back on the teachers you considered in the first reflection task at the start of this week. Reconsider what it was about them that made you consider them to be so good. Would others that were taught by them have the same conclusions?

 What is a good teacher?  I think this has to start with what makes a good student.  After watching Prof. Stobart's lecture on learning in week 2, I think it's safe to say that a good student - rather a good learner - is someone who puts in the effort necessary to master a skill. 

So I'm going to define a good teacher similarly:  A good teacher is one that puts in the effort to master the domains they work in.  This extends beyond their immediate subject area into ancillary skills such as communication, technology, etc.  A good teacher also has a great deal of curiosity. 

While this is generally thought to be inborn, curiosity needs to be exercised frequently.  A good teacher is one that takes the time to learn about their subject, the tools necessary for communicating it, and the world their students live in. A good teacher is socially and politically aware.

I think the best teacher I had was Mrs. Mangan, my high school English teacher.  I think she was the person that made me want to teach.  She taught (still teaches!) literature, but didn't stop there.  She constructed creative lessons, linked history, pop culture, art, and literature. 

But most importantly she met us where we were.  Teenagers have no shortage of issues, so she made her classroom a kind of sanctuary in off hours.  She gave some of us a blackboard to write poetry on, a place to hang out, talk about literature, life, problems.  She was an anchor in my life for many years, and is still in there even though we don't' talk as much.

I think other students would feel the same way, especially my compatriots!  She was one of the beloved teachers in our school.  I'd be willing to bet she still is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment